Monday, December 17, 2007

Blackhawk down

Great ESPN article about the two young stars on the Hawks, Patrick Kane and Jonathon Toews.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3152371

I had heard buzz about Kane before the draft, but since I’m not reading the Trib (or the piece of shit Sun), I’m not getting a lot of news about these studs. I love when a Chicago team gets young talent, even if we underachieve, because there is always potential. In this case, we’ve got a whole truckload of potential with these kids… Literally, these guys are 19 and drawing a crowd of 2500 people to sign autographs. That’s awesome. Here's Kane and Toews:



It’s like my high school yearbook (minus my dorky haircut and virginity).

I can only hope that unlike the Elton Brand/Ron Artest potential or the Eddy Curry/Tyson Chandler potential that we can keep these guys for a few years and realize some of that ever-elusive potential.

Sidenote: Teams actually PAY for potential. This never ceases to amaze me, as a good team will trade established players for really young, raw talent and go on to lose for the next 3-4 seasons before having to sell out when (if) the players become somewhat consistent. I’m annoyed that we’re going to pay Tyrus Thomas to learn how to play in the NBA and then we’re going to watch him go to some other team and dominate for the next decade in his prime. Shouldn't we be paying for wins? Championships? I understand rebuilding but if you have enough potential on your squad, you should mitigate some of that risk and trade for established players (ie we should have got KG or Kobe).

No comments: