Thursday, February 28, 2008

What We Learned


Just a few snippets from yesterday's exhibition against the Rockies:

-- John Danks actually looked good out there. Granted, his first inning was shaky because he wasn't locating the cutter, but after that, it was smooth sailing. 3Ks in two innings, and a lot of broken bats. I like this.

-- Josh Fields cannot play 3B. I'm not saying Joe Crede should be playing there (OK, yes I am), but Fields showed little or not improvement at the hot corner. If he can't learn to field, we might have a problem (although he can certainly DH when Thome has his May DL trip)

-- Dewon Day is terrible. I don't know how he even made the ST roster. He doesn't have the command to nibble at the corners, so he fires it right down the middle. At 88 MPH. This kid is begging to be taken deep (and gave up some runs really fast).

-- Brian Anderson looked good. I'm rooting for him. A double off the wall, a walk, and a K on a nasty pitch. Also played in LF for some reason.

-- Ed Farmer likes Sgt. Slaughter. I have no idea why, or how this came up during the broadcast. It just did.

-- Bobby Jenks has a beard. And he's lighter. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. Only the velocity will tell.

-- Wassermann looked a little shaky, but it's still early.

-- We still can't produce. SO many runners left on base. That's gotta improve.

No comments: