Tuesday, February 19, 2008

10 Years Gone


I was fighting off a bout with the flu yesterday and missed this one. Apologies all around. Yesterday marked a decade to the day that Cubs fans lost Harry Caray. I say Cubs fans, even though I know that he did announce for another team in Chicago, the team that divides the Windy City, and even those of us who write here. Like anyone with half a brain would do, Caray migrated North to the Friendly Confines in 1981 where he went from local yokel favorite to national celebrity. He went on to bring joy and laughter to baseball fans all over the country with calls like, 'Holy cow!' and 'Holy Christ I'm drunk'. Ok, so I made that last one up.

In any event, Cubs fans are now stuck with Bob Brenly and Len Kasper, who aren't half bad when placed next to other local announcers, but no one will ever be like Caray again. 10 years gone, but not forgotten.

So...I guess Vin Scully is next, huh?

No comments: