Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Can't We All Just Get Along?

"Smells like Head and Shoulders...but you don't have dandruff!"
"Exactly!"

I don't know what has happened to my favorite city rivalry in recent years, but I don't like it. Ever since the Sox won the world series in 2005 (not 1905), we've become smug and tolerant. I will see Sox fans going to Cubs games, and only showing an affiliation when the two teams play eachother.

That's not the way it's supposed to work!

Do you ever see Yankees fans root for the Red Sox when they aren't playing each other? I don't mean like when you root for the Cubs because they're playing the Tigers in a Sox pennant race. I mean like if the Cubs are playing the Cardinals, what self-proclaimed Sox fan would cheer for them?

Notice I say "Sox fan," and not "sports fan." I understand that there has recently been some sort of mutated offspring of Chicago sports fans that has produced "Chicago Fans," that root for both teams equally and generally hop on whatever bandwagon is best at the time. You are scum, and I hate you, but this article isn't about you.

No, this is a shout out to everyone that says "I'm a Cubs fan" and then goes out to root for the Sox. We may not be in your division, but we compete every year for fans and for presitge. With the Tribune no longer biasing the media (hopefully), things will be heating up even more in the coming months.

More importantly, I want to know what happened to my favorite anti-team shirts! Everyone knows the true strength of a rivalry by the anti-team shirts. Here's a basic look at what people should be wearing with pride:

#1.
Short and sweet. The years of failure on the bottom are a nice touch.

#2.
Again, classy and direct. Another clever play on the logo.

See, but these are where the creativity comes in:



I can't wait until baseball season...

No comments: